Code of Conduct
MARAC organizers abide by the AAS Ethics Statement and have adopted the Anti-Harassment Policy for Meetings and Activities of the American Astronomical Society and Divisions.
The organizers are committed to making this conference productive and enjoyable for everyone, regardless of gender, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, nationality, socioeconomic class, or religion. We will not tolerate harassment of participants in any form.
Please follow these guidelines:
- Behave professionally. Harassment and sexist, racist, or exclusionary comments or jokes are not appropriate. Harassment includes sustained disruption of talks or other events, inappropriate physical contact, sexual attention or innuendo, deliberate intimidation, stalking, and photography or recording of an individual without consent. It also includes offensive comments related to age, gender, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, race, nationality, socioeconomic class, or religion.
- All communication should be appropriate for a professional audience including people of many different backgrounds. Sexual or sexist language and imagery is not appropriate.
- Be respectful and do not insult or put down other attendees or facilitators of the event. Critique ideas not people.
- Should a participant witness events of bullying, harassment or aggression, we recommend that they approach the affected person to show support and check how they are. The witness may also wish to suggest that the person report the inappropriate behaviour. However, it is up to the affected person alone whether or not they wish to report it.
- If participants wish to share photos of a speaker on social media, we strongly recommend that they first get the speaker’s permission. Participants may also share the contents of talks/slides via social media unless speakers have asked that specific details/slides not be shared.
Participants asked to stop any inappropriate behaviour are expected to comply immediately. Attendees violating these rules may be asked to leave the event at the sole discretion of the organizers without a refund of any charge.